Daisies

Daisies

Friday, October 26, 2012

SAFF Day 1

Hello friends, it has been another two weeks since my last post. I think I left off by telling you all that I had a meeting with the head of HR. That meeting went very well and I ended up receiving a nice severance package through this whole ordeal. I also have started a new job. I took a full week off before I really started aggressively looking for work and very soon after I was offered a job in a restaurant. I am back in a kitchen, a very fast paced kitchen, but I am enjoying the line cook camaraderie and leaving work without having to worry about it when I get home. Also this job is willing to work with my school schedule, so I think I may have found the perfect setup for me. Everything happens for a reason.
So, I have a new hobby and of course it involves fiber. SAFF stands for Southeastern Animal Fiber Fair and it is being held this weekend about 15 minutes from where I live. I have gone for the past two years and this year I decided to try my hand at some classes. I feel like this has been a long time coming and it will be helpful in the long run when we do own sheep, or alpacas, or llamas, or rabbits, or goats, etc. OK you are probably wondering what it could be...no I did not take a shearing class, although I may at some point in the future. I took two spinning classes today. Beginners spinning on a wheel and Beginners spinning on a drop spindle. I thoroughly enjoyed both classes. I will say though that spinning on a wheel is a whole lot harder than it looks. There is a lot of coordination involved and a lot of things can go haywire with a wheel. I thought the spindle class was much more doable and actually got a mini skein out of it. I definitely need to practice a whole lot, but for right now the very tight twisting is fine by me. The thought of turning fiber into yarn is just incredible and in the long run, if I am able to spin my own yarn, it will be so much more economically viable. Speaking of being financially smart, if anyone knows of a wheel someone is trying to sell, please let me know. Wheels can be quite expensive and I really really want one to practice with. I also think spinning on a wheel will be much faster than spinning using a spindle.




1. The wheel I was spinning on, I think it is an Ashford Elizabeth...isn't it beautiful.
2. The yarn I spun on the spool.
3. The spindle spinning class..I was gifted that heavy, good for beginners, spindle.
4. The skein off of the spindle...this is prewashing and setting the curl.
I had so much fun today and can't wait for tomorrow when I get to watch my daughter spin for the first time and I get to look at all of the fiber for sale. Lots more pictures to come after that.
Have a great night,
Yasmin

No comments:

Post a Comment