Daisies

Daisies

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Gardening and Yarn Along

Today I found some sunshine in the middle of the day to transplant some of my plants to larger pots. I am trying out these fabric pots and hoping that they work well. The soil should be aerated nicely, but I am worried that the black fabric will mean very hot soil, which equals more watering time. We will see. I moved; strawberries, watermelons, peppers: sweet and hot, lots of different tomatoes and I think that might be all I moved today before it started pouring rain again. I am hoping to get some more gardening time in the morning before I head to work, which really means I should be sleeping right now and not writing this blog or thinking about reading some more before bed...yep, a bit of a night owl. We also spotted some random mushrooms growing in the yard, no wonder with all the rain recently. I did end up going back to Villagers to pick up that oil lantern that my husband told me to get and I am enjoying the warmth of the glow as we speak. I so do love old style lighting and the idea of "doing" according to the daylight. Did any of you ever watch 1900 house? I can't remember if that was on TV when I lived in London in 1999 or if that was a US show. I absolutely loved this show and the idea behind it. A family was placed in a house to live their lives like they were in the 1900s, a much slower pace of life without the conveniences of the modern world. Don't get me wrong, not all modern conveniences are bad, but I think purchasing some oil lamps may be in the right direction for us to lessen our carbon footprint and to try to live more of a life in tune with the rhythm of the day. Along . with gardening and new lamp pictures, I am also joining in with Ginny over at Small Things for her weekly Yarn Along. This week I am working on my Gaptastic Cowl...some of you may remember that I was working on this same cowl quite some time ago, well I did end up having to rips it out about three times due to a mistake here or there, so I am on my fourth attempt and so far, so good. The yarn is Malabrigo, can't think of the exact name, but it is their super bulky. The book I am reading is really a delightful one. It is called "Little House off the Grid" by Michelle and Cam Mather and it chronicles their journey the self-sufficiency. It is one of those book that is totally honest with the hard work it takes to become more self sustainable while inspiring you to become more so. More than half way through the book and I am loving it. Ok time to go get that sleep that I need.




Peace,
Yasmin

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed that programme too. I love the idea of self sufficiency, or as much as you can be. We grow some food but not enough, we have been experimenting with container gardening this year. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete