Daisies

Daisies

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Rhythm of the home

As I listen to the humming of the dehydrator, the whirring of the dishwasher, and the sound of my son playing with his dinosaurs next to me...I feel like I am once again getting back into my rhythm. There is bread rising in the kitchen, garbanzo beans cooling out of the pressure cooker, and laundry in the washing machine. All of these things might seem insignificant to some, but these are things that are home to me. You see, I think I fell out of my rhythm. Part of it had to do with loss of job security and being a full time student, the other part had to do with pure laziness, convenience, and getting sucked into Tv and computer land. Oh how easy it is to get sucked in. I started getting back into the rhythm about a week ago when I decided to spend my night time down time listening to music rather than watching the TV. I also think slowing down and taking the time to decorate the Christmas tree with the kids helped...I would much rather sit in my quiet living room next to the pretty tree than sit in front of the TV mindlessly. Getting back into the rhythm feels really really good. There is a lot of cleaning and organizing to be done before I can fully return to me, but it will happen in time. Today I started by organizing my pantry. Gosh it is great seeing what all I have to work with. My local co-op, gives 5% off to members on the 5th of every month, so my plan is to try and do my major grocery shopping once a month. All dry/canned goods only once a month. That means I will not go shopping for those types of things until the 5th of next month. This is a good thing. This will help with our budgeting, using up what we have, and coming up with creative meals. I will still need to shop for produce somewhat regularly, as well as eggs, and almond milk. I am excited about this challenge, even if I didn't realize that we in fact do not have black beans in this house at the moment. Yes, not buying black beans when we are out is considered an epic grocery fail...but I have other beans and they will just have to do. January 5th isn't that far anyway, right. Speaking of Rhythm of the Home, you should go check the Rhythm of the Home online publication right now. There are some tasty chocolate bark recipes in there, just in time for Christmas. Yummm.







  1. Organized pantry (yes I can see what food I have)!
  2. Dehydrating tomatoes.
  3. Caramelizing onions.
  4. Lentil soup.
  5. Chunky applesauce (so useful for vegan baking and as a snack for my son)
  6. Immaculate Baking Co. Crescent rolls ( they are ah-mazing).
  7. Idaho and Sweet Potatoes mixed with caramelized onions and topped with feta.
  8. Chunky applesauce in jars, yay.
Yes I do believe I am getting back into my rhythm. One more week of school in this semester and then I can truly start breathing.
Cheers to finding the rhythm again. Peace, Yasmin

No comments:

Post a Comment