Daisies

Daisies

Monday, March 25, 2013

What happened to Spring?


On the second day of Spring, we woke to the snow pictured above. Now I know it doesn't look like much for the Northerners, but this was considered significant snowfall for the mild winters of North Carolina. Maybe it is the fact that I have been pretty ill since last Monday or the fact that Spring should be here, but I am in a bit of a grumpy mood. This weather called for comfort food, so I made black bean soup, Immaculate Baking Company's mini crescents, roasted potatoes, and brussels sprouts. I was delighted to find out that both kids really like brussels sprouts recently, so no more cooking just a tiny amount for me and my husband. It is always wonderful when we find a new vegetable that everyone like. I roast the halved brussels sprouts with oil (I use grapeseed), chopped garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. We like to cook them at 400 degrees until some of them have a crispy golden brown outside. My spring break officially started on Saturday around 5:30 pm, when I promptly went to bed until Sunday morning, because I felt so awful. The stomach virus had turned into a monster sinus thing, where my head basically feels like it is full of mucous. Ugh.



When I woke on Sunday morning...a lazy Sunday, I decided to make a nice breakfast for the family. I roasted what potatoes we had, cut up some fruit, toasted some bagels, and made an egg white frittata with broccoli, onions, and feta cheese in it. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we had time for lazy mornings full of wonderful breakfasts every day. I really enjoyed my bagel with butter, honey, and some banana slices on top. I had also received a marathon training care package from my sister on Saturday, and was delighted to see some new fun books to read for motivation. Unfortunately I have not been on plan due to this crazy illness that has taken over my life for a whole week now. I will have to jump back on plan as soon as I feel up to it...and can I just say how annoyed I am that this is the way I am starting out my Spring Break...I had so many plans for this week. We did go and watch the Croods with the kids yesterday. Rian has been looking forward to it, since he saw the poster last year. We were planning to go to the bookstore afterwards, but I just did not feel up to it, so we went home and I basically crashed for the whole night, again.


Today it has been snowing off and on all day. Nothing is sticking, but as you can imagine the weather is quite cold. This weather called for some more soup, this time store bought. I haven't bought soup from a grocery store in years, but the thought of not cooking and the lure of the Pacific Organic soups won me over...and by the way the soup was delicious. I also bought a loaf of rosemary olive oil bread and made some earl grey tea with rice milk, honey, and vanilla. So delicious. I was able to get out of the house today and so I took the kids to the mall, so that I could get a ring resized and maybe check out some clothing. The kids were in dire need of new pants. Are my kids the only ones that wear through the knees of pretty much every pant they own? It is ridiculous and obviously winter is not over yet, so the buying of new pants was a necessity. I also found a dress that I really like on the rack and I found fits me well too. Yay. I love stripes and not to be too materialistic, but sometimes a purchase of a dress is exactly what someone needs to lift their spirits. I am still slightly grumpy and still quite stuffed up, but hopefully this illness will let up by Wednesday when we drive to my father in-law's house. Happy spring break.
Peace, Yasmin
 

No comments:

Post a Comment